If you want to raise a reader, then you want a book in their hands as soon as possible. But are books safe for your baby? The real question is: “What type of book is safest for even the littlest of hands?”
Experts say that board books are the best way to introduce babies to reading. So let’s take a look at why parents should stock their babies’ bookshelves with quality board books.
Board Books vs. Hard Cover Books
What’s the difference between a hardcover book and a board book?
Let’s take a look. A hardcover book is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a book that is designed with a hardcover, but it has traditional paper pages inside. Some of the benefits of hardcovers include:
- Hardcovers are Collectible: If you are a book collector, you most likely prefer hardback books over paperbacks because they’re more durable.
- Hardcovers are Protective: The outside cover works to protect the inner pages and the pages are bound with stitching or glue.
However, hardcover books also have negatives. Some of the negative features of hardcover books include:
- Hardcovers have Selective Durability: Hardcovers only work well to protect the inner pages when adults treasure them.
- Easily Destructible by Little Ones: Babies and toddlers can easily rip and tear the inner pages leaving the hardcover intact but the pages destroyed. This is just one of the reasons why board books are recommended for babies – they are made to withstand all of your baby’s chomping, tossing, tearing, and more.
What is a board book?
A board book is a sub genre of the picture book that is designed for the youngest of children, babies, and infants. Some features of a board book include:
- Board Books are printed on durable paperboard. The entire board book, even the inner pages, is made of highly durable paperboard that is specially folded and bound.
- Board Books have rounded corners for babies. The corner pages of board books are rounded out as to not harm any curious babies.
- Board Books have 12-24 pages. Board books tend to be shorter than hardcover books due to it’s thick paperboard pages
Why are Board Books Safer for Babies?
Make this adorable ABC board book and personalize for your little one with custom text and images! Click on the image go to the product page.
Designed for babies from birth to age 3, board books are safer for babies than their counterpart hardcover book for several reasons.
- Board Books are safe and chewable. Babies like to explore everything with their mouths, which is one of the reasons why board books are safer. You’d rather have them chew the corner of a board book than munch and swallow pieces of paper.
- Board Books are designed for your baby’s little hands. Board Books are smaller and fit perfectly in their little hands, can be easily held, turned, stacked, and tossed without harm to your child
- Board Books have longevity. Because the board books are printed on thick durable paperboard, they last longer in your child’s library.
- Board Books are non-toxic. Board Books are printed and bound directly on thick paperboard. Our board books are made using safe materials and processes that provide the highest level of quality and production consistency and regularly safety tested.
- Board Books have safe, rounded corners that will not hurt your baby. Board Books are round corner trimmed for an extra protection when little ones chew and tear at with their mouths and hands
What’s one of the best benefit of board books? Board Books nurture a love of reading for your baby
The NY Times suggests, “Becoming a reader starts as soon as your baby pays attention to board books.” The unique design of a board book is the perfect introduction to reading. They allow babies to explore the text and pictures with each of their senses safely. By showing babies that reading is fun and that they can play with books, you are fostering an early love of reading.
Board books also provide precious bonding opportunities. Highlights magazine explains, “Intimate moments spent sharing simple board books with baby help build listening and visual skills that form the basis for independent reading later on.” With illustrations and a few words, board books offer plenty of “point and say” opportunities.
Pint Size Productions is the only USA board book manufacturer and printer of baby board books. We only use safe materials that are made in the USA. Our board books are coated with either gloss UV or Aqueous matte coating. We never laminate our board books due to the hazard of using film lamination on a baby book. We also regularly safety test our board books with a certified independent testing lab to make certain our board books are always in compliance with the United States CPSC requirements and safe for baby board books.
How can you build a strong library for your baby? Make your own custom board book with Pint Size Size Productions
Now that you understand why board books are the best option for your little one, did you know you can make your own custom board books with Pint Size Productions, the only US board book manufacturer? We take all the things you love about board books – quality, durable, and safety – and give you the ability to add your precious memories into your own board book.
We offer a variety of board book services for individuals, authors, illustrators, creatives and organizations. With Pint Size Productions, you can make a variety of board books for babies:
- Mass Production Board Books – We offer mass production offset board books for all types of creatives with quantities staring at 1000
- Pre-designed board book templates – Customize a variety of adorable pre-designed digitally printed board books with your baby’s photo and custom text. We also offer two popular customizable Sandra Boynton board books templates
- Make your own board books – We offer beginner board books for the novice board book builder, and advanced and professional board books for the more experienced designer. We offer these digitally printed board books in quantities of 1-50 that our customers can purchase securely online.